Cambridge Society for the Application of Research (CSAR)

The Cambridge Society for the Application of Research (CSAR) Award is presented in recognition of applied research achievements at the University. Applicants must be current PhD students.

If you wish to apply, talk to your chosen referee first. They must be able to verify the quality of your work.

How to apply can be found here. Please note that you cannot save a partially complete version of the application form. Deadline: 23:59 on 10 January 2021.

Tenth Term PhD students

Limited funds are available for overrunning PhD students. Awards are only likely to be made if matched by the relevant Department or Faculty.  

Please contact your Tutor if you wish to apply. Applications are made via the College Support Ticket System using the Student Support Form, together with the Student Budget Planner and other supporting documents. 

Deadlines for applications: 

  • Michaelmas Term4th November, 12 noon. 
  • Lent Term: 5th Februarymidnight. 
  • Easter Term: 14th May, midnight. 
  • Long vacation: 31st August, midnight. 

Cherry Hume Prize for Science


This is a single award of £500 made in the Lent term to a student undertaking fieldwork or travel in any area of the Sciences.  

Funding will not be awarded for food costs.  It is expected that the most economical (overall) routes and accommodation will be chosen. 

Priority is given to students who have not previously applied, students may apply more than once unless otherwise stated. 

You can apply via the College Support Ticket System using the Academic and Travel Awards form 

Deadline for application is midnight on February 5th 2020. 

St. Edmund’s Student Support Awards for Academic Travel


Awards of up to £500 and can be used for part-funding or full funding. If you wish to make an application, please apply via College Support Ticket System. 

Fulbright Awards

Fulbright offers competitive funding opportunities for periods of postgraduate study or academic research and lecturing in the US.  Further information can be found on their website. 

German Academic Exchange Service (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst DAAD)

The DAAD offers funding programmes for academics at UK and Irish Universities to study and conduct research in Germany. Further information is available on their website. 

Cambridge Trust: Conference and Overrun funding for current scholars

If you are a current student, and receive funding from the Cambridge Commonwealth, European & International Trust, please use this form to apply for financial assistance towards conferences, overrun time, or any other unforeseen expenses. 

Related Links